Monday, February 25, 2008

Step-sister's Wild Ride...

Hello! I hope you all had a good weekend! We've had a quiet week/weekend with not much going on. I was really surprised this morning, however, by an email I received from my Dad over the weekend. My step-sister was abducted/kidnapped in Salt Lake City on Thursday!! I'm going to leave out many of the details and just give you the "big picture." And to re-assure you, she is OK and is doing her best to get back to "normal."

She was approached by a man with a broken bottle and a gun and told to get in her car and drive to the nearest ATM, where she was to withdraw money so he could get his heroin fix. The perp sat behind her with a gun to her head, while she was driving where she was told. She was tyring to text for help with one hand until the perp got suspicious and told her to put both hands on the wheel. At some point, the guy began throwing up so he opened the back seat door. She recognized this opportunity and turned real fast so that the guy was flew out the door. She called 911 and gave them the man's description and the police were able to apprehend them within the hour at the Trax (train) station. Thankfully, all ended without injury. However, much can be said for her ability to remain level headed and play out the situation the way she did. And certainly, her angels must have been working over time!

We're grateful that she's safe and were reminded what a blessing personal safety is. Unfortunately, I don't think there was anything she could have done to prevent the situation but, there is something to learn from her actions. I'm not sure if I would have been able to hold things together as she did and recognize the opportunity to save herself!

Anyway, that was the crazy story that started my week! Yikes!

5 comments:

Da Costa said...

That is crazy! I'm so glad that she's ok. And I can't believe how calm she was during the ordeal. She was definitely being taken care of that day!

Jessica Snyder said...

I'm so glad that situation turned out alright. How terrifying. I hope that she is recovering well!

Jlowryjr said...

Because she is doing well that is just an awesome story.

Emily said...

Holy Cow! I just saw that on the news this morning. That is a crazy story and the guy looked really creepy! That would be so scary. Brave lady!

Rachel said...

that is so crazy! I don't know what I would have done if I were in the same situation!! Good for her!