Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Our Beach Retreat

I may have mentioned that Jeff has been engrossed in studying for his national board exam. He's essentially lived at the library for the last two months--leaving one lonely wife! He was able to take his exam a couple of weeks ago and then have one much-needed week off. He was beyond sick of school and studying and I happened to be in desperate need of a break from work so--we retreated to the beach!

We found a great oceanfront Marriott in Jacksonville Beach that was just what we were looking for. It was the first time either of us have stayed in a place where the beach was just outside of your sliding glass door.


We had a beautiful view from our balcony...



We spent our first day at the beach, enjoying the sunshine, warm weather, and people watching (the beach is excellent for this!) Since Jeff has been in the library so much, he had to become reacquainted with the sun.



He was in desperate need of some vitamin D and a little color so as to no longer look like the ghost in the blue room (which he haunted for 2 months).

When we went to get cleaned up for dinner, we spent a little time on our balcony. As we looked out over the ocean, and thought about going home the next day, we immediately decided that we needed an extra day. So, that's what we did--I canceled my meetings, we extended our hotel reservation, and we stayed an extra day--totally worth it!


I tell you what, it's hard to get better than spending the evening either (a) on your balcony or (b) in the beach-side hot tub with you sweetheart and listening to the ocean. What a great way to end the day (we did both)!
Of course, after one full day with entirely too much sun exposure for a skin-cancer prone girl, I had to bundle up to enjoy the evening outdoors.

 

I think Jeff (and I) smiled the whole weekend. He was just so relieved to be done with boards, talking to a human being, and being outside!


Funny thing...for those of you who know Jeff, you know that he does not like to miss out on anything. Well, while we were sitting outside, he saw a family head out to the beach for a walk with a couple of flashlights. After watching them for a few minutes, he decided that they were looking for something---maybe even crabs! He convinced himself that they were looking for crabs. He kept saying, "maybe we should go down there and look for crabs too!"


After about 10 minutes or so of him watching vigilantly (like above), we figured out that they actually weren't looking for anything--the two kids just had head lamps on and were running around on the beach. At last, convinced he wasn't missing out on anything, he could just sit and relax.

Our second day on the beach was Mother's Day. It was great! We watched a surf competition and listened to a free concert by the Jacksonville Orchestra at the pavilion on the beach. And, of course, spent a little more time just relaxing.

Due to a bit of a sunscreen shortage (I'm not going to point any figures but, we had a pretty full bottle of spray sunscreen to start with and by the time it got to me, there was only enough for my back...a mystery), I was a little more pink than I care to be so, I spent the day in the shade.



We also enjoyed a tasty dinner at the Salt Life Food Shack. At long last, Jeff was able to try a fried, soft shell crab sandwich. I didn't get a picture but, it really did look like fried little legs sticking outside of a bun. I almost mustered the courage to have a bite but, then he described the middle as a little "gritty" (perhaps because he was eating all of the guts--fried, yes, but guts all the same) and I lost interest real quick. He said it tasted good but, when I asked him if he'd ever order it again he said, "probably not."


Perhaps the best part of the weekend was just spending time with my sweetheart. He's my very best friend and I missed him terribly. Now, since boards are over, our beach retreat was a kick-off to a new phase in life for us (since his nights and weekends will be free, just like a real grown-up!) and we can be just like "peas and carrots" again. And, that is the best part.

(Note: I seem to have left my motivation at the beach...we'll have to go back and get it!)

No comments: