Hello, my long-neglected blog friends/family. I realize that I have not been very forthcoming with my posts so far this year. My sister, Ashley, contemplated sending me a note saying, "please do something fun so that you can update your blog and I can read it." The truth is, we haven't done a whole lot since the holiday break and we both were just struggling to get back into the swing of things at work/school and get settled into the new year. Our holiday-hangover lasted well into January and we were both happy when February 1st rolled around.
To summarize January:
1. Cold
2. Diet
3. Studying (Jeff)
4. Writing grants (Amy)
5. Spring cleaning
6. Depleted brain cells (see number 5 above)
7. Diet relapse (both)
8. Diet recommit (1.5 participants)
9. Flag football (Jeff)
One noteworthy item in January--after two years as the young women's president at church, I was released. This was a bitter-sweet thing for me. I was, and am, sad to not have those weekly interactions with the girls and my fellow leaders that have been so uplifting, inspiring and rewarding. Conversely, I feel a great sense of relief to not have all of the meetings, activities, etc. to worry about. The demands of my job increased exponentially last year, and will likely continue to increase, and I'm grateful and excited that the girls have a fantastic new leader to serve them as they deserve.
So, at long last, we did (and I documented) a fun activity! This weekend, we headed south to visit my Dad in Fort Meyers. The company was great and we really enjoyed spending some time in the sun!
Of course, every time we visit, games abound...
New this trip was a visit to Sanibel to go fishing! We squeezed into our car and headed to the beach in search of some bait, sun, sea creatures and fun!
Now, we new it would be chilly but, I think we really underestimated the wind-factor. Can you see my teeth chattering? Do my lips look blue?
Burr.... (Also, where did my butt go? I must have left it in my other jeans...)
At some point, I left my camera in Ashley's care. Of course, it's always fun to look through the inevitable self-portraits that follow.
Holy mackerel! (Ha, ha, it really is a mackerel)
Ashley tried her luck for a little while and then returned to Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games.
Jeff, being the avid fisherman that he is, stuck out the cold and used all of his bait. The rest of us sought shelter and warmer temperatures off the pier. To reward his efforts? A pin fish...
And, that was it. Poor guy. At least he looked so cute while trying!
After our fishing excursion, and time in the sun, we found a delicious fish lunch at the Lazy Flamingo. (As if we didn't eat enough breakfast and didn't have a large dinner planned...note the diet relapse and recommitment issue I mentioned about January, still struggling there)
Me and the two most important men in my life.
Of course, no gathering would be completed without a good ol' low-country boil! Y.U.M.! Dad and Betsey had not experienced the deliciousness of the boil yet. I think we converted them.
3 comments:
I think you should forget the diet before you blow away! Miss you guys!
Amy, loved the post.... I missed your fun comments. Totally give up the diet and just have fun... you look amazing! Enjoy food just don't eat it all at once. Ha ha
I totally decided I was NEVER going to diet again.. it was making me crazy. And I'm still 10 pounds heavier than I want to be. Loved the pics of you and your sister... good times. Fishing looks like so much fun. Can't wait to see the next post.
P.S. Young woman's just won't be the same without you. You are such an amazing example and inspiration for me that I know you touched those girls lives.
Oh, how I miss the low-country boil! It was one of my favorite things when visiting Jeremy and family in the South - not to mention the desserts (i.e. bread pudding, key lime and pecan pie!) There is no way you can stay on a diet down there! BTW is Ashley sporting a piece of luggage that matches my LV handbag??? Lucky girl :) All of you look so happy and healthy. Also, if you can't see your butt you obviously don't need to worry about the diet!
Post a Comment