Monday, March 15, 2010

A Weekend on Pine Island

Jeff was on spring break last week and to celebrate we spent the weekend on Pine Island with my Dad and step-mom. Pine Island and its neighboring city, Matlacha (pronounced Matt-Lachay), are interesting places--very colorful, kind of random, but so fun!


We had beautiful weather on Saturday and Sunday and it was a welcome relief from the cold and clouds (to those of you up north or out west, yes, I understand that this is all relative).


We explored the island by bike (beach cruiser, baby! Have I ever mentioned I'm not really good at riding a bike?) and car and found some great treasures--some beautiful, big homes amid trailer parks, some funky and delicious restaurants (if you get the chance to eat at the Sandy Hook, do!), and some small biker bars with great names (e.g., Ragged Ass).


Jeff found some coconuts while out and about...


Any trip to visit my dad would not be complete without a great cookout--steak, chicken and fresh gulf shrimp. Yum! Since the shrimp were fresh, they came as God made them. Dad and Jeff made them suitable for eating. Ashley and I avoided this processes like the plague. Neither of us enjoys seeing our food with a face.


I didn't get a picture of it but, Ashley made quite the entrance on Friday night. She drives a big, four door, Titan that makes sure nothing gets in her way--including the string of lantern lights marking the parking area next to my dad's motor coach. Once she clipped one, she decided to just keep going and flattened the rest of the string. We all had a good laugh about it!

1 comment:

Rach and Clark said...

ahhhh, that looks like such a nice place to vacation! Glad you two had a relaxing and fun time with your family~